Fine China and Crystal Self Storage Solutions
Fine China and crystal are expensive and fragile collections that many people proudly display in the home. They typically carry great monetary and sentimental value, often being passed down several generations. Over the years, your fine china and crystal collection might outgrow your display cabinet, forcing you to pack away your precious plates. If your collection has outgrown your display area and your home can’t accommodate the overflow, consider self storage in Canton Ohio for your fine china and crystal.
Best Packing Tips for Fine China and Crystal
Once you decide that self storage in Canton Ohio is the right choice for your fine china and crystal collections, take the following steps to ensure your plates are properly packed.
- Packing your china with padding ensures your collection will remain in mint condition. The cushion protects the plates from bumping against each other, which can cause chipping.
- Wrap every dish one by one. After you’re done wrapping, secure the dishes with tape.
- Pack plates on their sides, keeping similar sizes together.
- Protect oddly shaped items with extra padding.
- Fill your bowls and cups with crumpled newspaper, and use paper to wrap your plates. Plain paper wrap with no ink is ideal so the ink will not transfer on to your china.
- Packing peanuts and bubble wrap are also highly effective for protecting your collection.
- If you’re looking for thrifty solutions, old towels, soft clothes and grocery bags will also protect fine china and crystal.
Proper Packaging Protects Your Fine China and Crystal
- Cardboard boxes are not an ideal self storage solution for fine china and crystal. This is because cardboard boxes can break down, tear and weaken.
- If you must use cardboard, consider doubling up on your boxes to create two layers.
- Dish barrels are specifically made for storing fine china and crystal. They’re constructed with two layers of cardboard for extra durability and strength.
- Wooden crates are another ideal option for crystal self storage in Canton Ohio.
- If you use cardboard boxes, be sure to tape them closed to help the box retain its shape.
- Seal not only the top and bottom, but the corners of the boxes as well.
- Pad the bottom of the box so it can better hold the weight of your dishware.
Self storage in Canton Ohio is a perfect solution to keep your valuable china and crystal protected and secure. If you have questions about our self storage facility or you need more packing advice, don’t hesitate to call us at 330-488-0129.