Clothing And Fur Self Storage Tips
Amongst a variety of other personal possessions that are packed up in self storage, clothing is one of the most popular. This is especially true for big bulky coats and seasonal clothing when you don’t have the extra closet space for your storage needs. Storing your clothing in self storage in Canton Ohio maximizes your current closet space, especially for those who have more clothes and shoes than they know what to do with. Read on to discover the best storage tips for clothing in storage.
Clothing Self Storage in Canton Ohio Tips
- Wash and dry your clothes as you normally would. Cleaning your clothes before packing them away into storage is necessary for several reasons. It keeps stains from setting that will be difficult to remove later. Dirty clothing also contains bacteria, which can grow and spread while your clothes are packed away.
- Avoid putting clothes in airtight vacuum-sealed bags. Fabric needs access to proper ventilation, and vacuum-sealed bags completely remove all air. This can promote mold growth, especially if there happens to be any moisture in the air.
- Consider storing your clothing in large, plastic tupperware containers that has access to air circulation. Another ideal situation is storing your clothing in a clean suitcase. If you’re only storing your clothing for a short time in self storage, cardboard boxes will work as a temporary place to hold your clothes.
- Be aware that hanging clothing for long periods of time on a hanger can cause the items to become misshapen and stretched out. If you do choose to hang your clothing in storage, use all of the hooks included on your hangers to help your clothes retain their shape. Avoid hanging your clothes while contained in a plastic bag, as this does not allow clothing to breathe.
- Fold your clothes with the lightest items on top and the heaviest items on the bottom.
- Use cedar blocks as an alternative to moth balls. Cedar blocks are beneficial because they don’t contain chemicals and they are effective at keeping insects away from your clothing while in storage.
Storing Furs in Self Storage
- Have your furs professionally cleaned before storing furs in self storage.
- Never attempt to comb your fur or blow dry it.
- Keep your fur away from contacting other items. This can damage your fur items.
- Do not store your fur belongings with cedar blocks or moth balls. The scents of these items can be absorbed into the fur.
- Do not place fur garments in plastic, which can cause damage.
If you have additional questions on the best ways to store fur and clothing at your local self storage in Canton Ohio, contact us at (330) 875-4237 or (330) 875-8030.